So hop on your bike and join the biking revolution!
- With biking becoming increasingly popular, most major cities have separate bike lanes for bikers. Stay on the bike line and follow the rules of the road at all times. Obey all the traffic signals and signs and if possible keep to the right lane.
- Like any other activity, it is important to be equipped with the necessary gear for a comfortable ride. Make sure you have your helmet, water bottle, bike messenger bags and gloves. A good helmet reduces the risk of fatal injuries.
- Wear bright colored clothes or reflective gear especially at night, so you are visible to other drivers on the road.
- Always follow a straight and predictable path and never weave in and out of parked cars.
- Finally plan your bike route well in advance so there’s no added pressure.
If you still feel biking is not your cup of tea, here’s what a couple of my co-workers have to say about biking to work everyday:
Mandy: “Riding my bike to work is a great adventure every day. I am outside and enjoy the route I take. I hear the birds and it is lovely to see how nature changes through the seasons. I feel in the car you don’t see that. But on my bike I am more aware of my environment. I love the sun shining in the morning and waking me up on my commute to work.”
Linda: “Riding a bicycle to work is fun and a good daily exercise. You start the day being active which makes you feel good. It is wonderful to cycle in the warm morning sun and get some fresh air before starting to work. You arrive awake and happy at work. On the way back home riding your bike helps you to leave all the work behind and be ready to enjoy the evening.”